Sunday, November 13, 2011

DIY Chalkboard Labels

As the weather turns cold and the trees are nearly bare, it hits me that winter is around the corner. That means snuggling up on the couch with a book, weekend long movie marathons and staring dreamily at my Christmas tree. All of that means plenty of time will be spent indoors.

Egads!

I never got around to spring cleaning this year. I was strapped to a couch nursing an infant while dust bunnies waltz on my floors. I stared so long at dirty windows that I started imagining I saw shapes of elves or a cat being formed by the dirt.  Not as romantic as gazing up at clouds but what else could a girl do.
via Tumblr

Wait! I think that looks like a boot. Ah, yes. I see it now. These games saved me from going looney where I sat on the couch for 3 months. The things they never tell you about motherhood!

 There was plenty to do while perched on my couch. Plenty I just couldn't do.

So as winter rolls in I find myself doing some last minute organizing and cleaning. I like when my house is in order and clean so that when I barricade myself in it for the winter I can feel good about it.

(In case you didn't notice, I am back after a major coffee spill over my computer and new phone. I am breathing again. Phew!)
via Pinterest

The pantry is this small space that I really like to command. It feels manageable. I know I can get it in ship-shape form. I like to organize it with similar products together. Colors matching, labels facing outward. It is a place that I can exercise my quest for the elusive organized home without looking like I need to be on medication.  A place for everything and everything in its place!

So when I came across these wonderful little chalkboard labels I thought they were just what my pantry needed. And as soon as the thought hits me that I want to buy something, almost instinctually the second thought is "Can I make it?"

Well, it turns out I can. A little chalkboard paint and contact paper...Voila!


Here's how I did it:

You will need:

Chalkboard Paint
Newspaper
Foam Brush
Contact Paper
Pencil
Template of your choice
Chalk

Step 1:

Lay out necessary amount of contact paper on a flat surface with newsprint underneath. You may need to use paper weights in the corners to keep the contact paper flat if it was on a roll. I used about 18" of contact paper to make about 20 labels. 




Step 2:
Using a foam brush, paint chalkboard paint directly on the contact paper surface. Keep your brush wet and filled with paint. Use long, broad strokes from end to end. 

                         
Step 3:

While your paint dries, choose a template shape. Print and cut it out on card stock or other thick paper to use as your pattern piece. There are some great shapes here. You can also customized your own. I found a fancy frame shape online. I made two sizes by reducing and enlarging the shape on my copy machine. 



Step 4: 

Once your paint dries, turn over the painted side and begin tracing your label shape on the gridded backing. I use a pen to track because I found the roller ball to be easy to glide over the backing without puncturing through the paper.


Step 5:

Begin to cut out each shape. When you are done cutting the amount you need to turn your project into hyper-organized. Grab your chalk and go to town! Label everything. Drawers, cupboard, art supplies, office bins, your mail, your front door, your dog! While I didn't get that crazy, I did label the dog food bin. 

Have fun! Here is my pantry now.




And in the meantime, my toddler decided to do a little re-organizing of my tea bags. I had to sacrifice something to get this blog done! That's the way it goes. 





PS: After using the chalkboard labels for a week now I would like to point out that the chalk does smear when touched as you can see in the pictures above. So it is not a perfect system but it looks so nice and it is easy to change when you replace the jar with other items.

If you are inclined to purchase them here are some great resources:

Send me your pics of this project or other ideas. I would love to feature them here. 
xo












No comments:

Post a Comment