Thursday, November 24, 2011

DIY Rotating Art Gallery Frame

Before I had a baby, I swore that all the finger paintings and scribbled artwork would not be displayed on my walls or refrigerator. I know it is cold. But I thought that I would display each childs' artwork in their respective rooms. We all would win. They would see their art and it would save my house from becoming an extension of the playroom.

Fast forward to motherhood and eat my words! This is becoming a theme.

My husband and I went to our first parent-teacher conference last week and they handed us a folder of all our son's artwork he has made all year. I gingerly opened the folder, holding it like it was the holy grail. We swelled up with emotions. There were the cutest little finger paintings of fish and our family. The most beautiful leaves made from the shapes of his chubby hands. There was a little avant-garde image of his foot imprinted onto our apartment building.

His teacher told me that he really loves art. He is 11 months old and we are sure he is a budding Picasso.

 I am confident that you will agree.

 It didn't take me long to decide that these great works of art must be displayed very prominently. I had the perfect frame for the job.



Is your heart melting yet?

Here is how to make the frame gallery.

You will need:

Frame
Picture eyelits
Cording
Drill
Ruler
Pencil
Clothespins

Step 1:
Measure 2" down from top of the frame and make your first mark each each side of frame. So you will have two pencil markings evenly marked across from each other. This will be where your first row of cording will be tied.


Step 2:

Continue marking rows 7"apart until you reach the end of your frame. For my frame, I used a  18"x20" frame and I was able to place 3 rows of cording. Using a power drill (vroom!), place a pilot drill hole on the inside of the frame about 1/2" from edge. Continue drilling small pilot holes in all areas where you will place picture eyelits. This will allow eyelits to screw in more easily.


Step 3:
Screw all picture eyelits into pilot holes. Cut your cording 8" longer than the width of your frame. Tie cording to each eyelit, leaving a tail of cording on each end. Be sure to stretch the cording very taunt. It may help to tie the cording on the eyelit and then turn your eyelit a few times to help tighten the cording.

One row of cording cut and tied.
Step 4:

After all the rows are strung and tied, you can trim the excess tails of the cording or just leave them as I did. I like the haphazard look of it.
Finished Frame
Our latest treasure
We have only had the frame hanging for four days. During that time, my little Prince as eagerly spotted it from across the room twice. His eyes lit up like it was Christmas morning. He points his chubby little finger towards the frame. His head turns from me to the frame and back again. Each time I have lifted him up so he can investigate his works of art. He seems to be explaining each one to me. I relish those moments.

Be still, my heart! 

We are looking forward to the memories that will fill our little art gallery and watching our most important work of art grow.

xo


No comments:

Post a Comment