Saturday, September 3, 2011

Do You Believe In Design?

That is the question! So what does it mean to believe in design?

For me, it is a part of almost everything I do in my day. I design my days or so I like to think! More often than not, my little prince designs my days but I do what I can to stay the course!

Believe in Design started as a mantra for me to keep sight during long, very long and extra long design  meetings. Meetings with sales teams and owners that had fear in their eyes and not a creative bone in their body yet they kept tossing out good design (read: new, innovative, smart) in favor of reliable (read: boring, safe, predictable) product. Does this sound like a rant yet? Ok good.


Credit: Threshold Blogazine

As a Design Director in those days, I longed for the Seventh Avenue meets Mad Men dream team. I think I might buy a used tissue from Don Draper! But alas, I digress to thoughts of a well cut grey wool suit.

Where was I?

Oh, yes! Hence, Believe In Design. I love and appreciate well designed items from furniture, toys, and home appliances to cars, glasses, and utensils. Don't ask me why I chose those items! But the idea here is that everything has a design and a designer behind it! I want  good design that graces my life whether its naturally made (and quite often more perfectly made) or man-made.

Beautifully designed objects give me a rush and a fire of inspiration burns inside me. It is a true high.  I am never quite sure where or how the inspiration will translate itself but I am open to being the vessel those ideas flow through.

How are you the designer of your life?

1 comment:

  1. I think I will leave my designing to the creative people of the world!!

    ReplyDelete