Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Hit The Road

This week I took a road trip to the Perkiomen Valley region in Pennsylvania. (Perky-what?) Repeat after me "Per-key-o-men." I will assume you know how to pronounce valley.

There are some nice little treasures in this area. If you are nice (and keep reading) I will share them with you.

Nothing like a little road trip to soothe the soul. Something about hitting the open road with "No particular place to go"(Thank you Mr. Berry) that makes me feel reckless. Well, as reckless as my A-type personality will allow me. Which means I don't have AAA. I feel like letting my top down! (of my convertible of course!) And let my hair blow in the wind while taking my navy, polka dot scarf off and let it dance above my head. Then I just open my hand and release my scarf to the winds.

Too bad I don't have a convertible.

That's what I feel like on daytrips. I think my little Prince gets tired of looking at me all day anyways. It ensures sanity for the both of us to break routine and hit the road.

I have spent more time on the road than a long-haul truck driver. I come from good driving stock. My parents consider a 7-hour drive as an easy days' drive.  If you arrive at my parents's house late in the evening, say 2 am, you might be offered Sushi or a roasted chicken upon your arrival. It is like getting to the finish line. They must be proud we carry on their tradition of recreational driving.  To understand the extent of how much we drive, my mom's Prius currently sits at about 250,000 miles give or take a few hundred miles. (scratch that----253,052, 254,613, I can't keep up with her!)

My earliest memories, along with being smuggled into hotels in pillowcases,  (It's okay, I turned out fairly normal) are being in the back of our International Scout driving cross-country with my parents.

Driving in my car fills me with freedom, weird thoughts that I can take over the world and fond memories. So when I saw this car driving up in my review mirror I almost dropped my sippy cup! 



I forgot the American road trip and I was transported to the Amalfi coast. Soon they disappeared but not before I got this shot! I do not recommend taking photos at 65 miles per hour but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do! My camera was shotgun so I couldn't help it. 
I know this makes you smile!

Back in the valley, I came across the most wonderful place.  The name alone caused me to screech to a halt. 


The Powerhouse Fleamarket... Powerhouse not Brickhouse, yeah she's a brickhouzzzzz. The Powerhouse is amazing and as you can imagine, it was a former Powerhouse.








Unfortunately, it was not a Sunday BUT I stopped in anyway. Hey, the doors were open. There is a nice selection of furniture and collectibles from the quick peek that I had. 


Just down the road is another goodie, The Trading Post Depot. The owners just relocated to this larger location and have filled it with an exciting collection. I loved the focus on architectural items that make amazing home decor. It's a great way to personalize your space. In addition,  they have reclaimed barn wood that they will customize into furniture for you. So what are you waiting for? 
Vamoose! Oh but wait!


It gets better. The best part is that on the first Friday of each month they host a wine and cheese event from 5-9 pm. I love me some community spirit!


Photo Credit: Trading Post Depot

Iron Work Grill Photo Credit: Trading Post Depot
  
Architectural Detail Photo Credit: Trading Post Depot




Details and Other Local Highlights:

  • Power House Antique and Flea Market, 45 First Avenue, Route 29, Collegeville, PA            (610) 489-7388 OPEN Sundays
  • Trading Post Depot, 28 Main Street, Schwenksville, PA (610) 287-4000 HOURS: Thursday-Friday 10-9. Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Wednesday 10-6.
  • Ott's Exotic Plants, Route 29, Schwenksville, PA
  • King of Prussia Mall, 60 North Gulph Road, King of Prussia, PA (610) 265-5727











No comments:

Post a Comment