Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Trick or Treat!

Knock, knock! 

Who's there? 

C'est moi! You fools and ghouls. 

So excited to start writing about Halloween which is such a fanciful holiday (oh yes, it is a holiday) and mon favorite! I must be channeling my french spirits again. Any boo, my earliest memories of Halloween was after the "Trick or Treat" was sung, screamed or shouted from my tippy top toes (As if that would make me sound louder) At times, I screamed so loudly that I sounded like I was possessed. 


                                                      


 The anticipation in the moments before the door opened was what I lived all year for and it was the reason that Halloween has always been my favorite holiday. Now don't get me wrong I am a die-hard candy connoisseur which only added to the joy of the holiday. 

When each door opened it was a new world opening just for my eyes. After quick scan of the shadow at the door, I held out my bucket trance-like, my eyes cast on the interiors of their homes. The colors, paint, furniture, or rugs all contributed to my sense of the place. In this early lesson on design, I quickly came to know that which pleased my eyes and that which (witch?) did not. 

Poor souls that reaped the wrath of design critique form a ten year old. I pitied them.

This could also be the reason that I 'trick or treated' well into my college years. One embarassing moment when I stood towering over wee children and the lady at the door said, "My! my! Kids are so big these days!" 

I thought it was time to throw in my cape. Feasting on my unsuspecting victims was over. I could have borrowed a couple of kids. 

Alas, I fret no longer! I now have my own. I knew there were perks to this mommy gig. 

So as I frantically prepare, cut and sew his costume for his first Halloween I am psyched to get back to my old habits. By the way, I have convinced myself that I have time and energy to make his costume. I do not. So I will end this project looking like a washed-up, tryin' to do everything, greasy-haired train wreck. But it's okay because I can wear a mask all month and no one will care. 

Doorways are the masks of our homes, hiding what lies behind. They provoke curiosity or envy, make us want to revamp or try a new undertaking, just like the best things in our life.

What's behind your door? I would love to see. 

See you later, beggars!











No comments:

Post a Comment